Wednesday, March 6, 2013

who is Lucy Flint?

... which means, who is Lucy Flint for now, ha ha.

At the moment, being Lucy Flint means: I'm 28 years old, single, and vegan (more or less).

I'm also a writer. Unpublished and undaunted (more or less).

Through four years of college and six & a half years after, I've been writing, writing, writing. Poems and essays and short stories for professors. And for myself? Three novels, and working now on a fourth.

I read somewhere that writers--like all good craftspeople--have to go through an apprenticeship period. And that the apprenticeship takes about ten years. Ten years of hard work before you're ready to become something else.

It's been ten years of apprenticeship. I wrote those novels and put them under my bed. We learned a lot together, but they need massive repairs. But this fourth novel, I think it has promise. And this year, I've decided, is when I become more than an apprentice.

It's time to go pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment